In this blog, I wanted to share a recipe I recently made. It is easy to make and quite tasty and includes some healthy vegetables and spices. Give it a try if you like.
Skinny Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 package fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 8 ounces whole grain fettuccine, or other favorite noodle (You can find one made from chick peas if you can’t eat gluten)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour or cornstarch
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup skim milk (You can also use almond, or cashew milk.)
- Salt & pepper to taste (Add in any other spices that appeal to you.)
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a pot of boiling, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
In a medium frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the chicken, and garlic and saute until the chicken is browned, stirring frequently. Add the broccoli, onion and mushrooms and stir. Add the salt & pepper & crushed red pepper and any other spices that sound good to you. Next gradually whisk in the chicken broth, Greek yogurt and milk. Whisk in the flour until smooth, about 2 minutes. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer for several minutes. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
Serve over prepared noodles. Add butter, or olive oil to the noodles to coat, before serving, if desired. Add additional Parmesan to the top, if desired. Serve with a healthy side salad if you like to add in some additional vegetables and nutrients to your meal.