In this blog, I wanted to share a recipe I put together for some spicy quinoa with vegetables. If you want to incorporate some healthy grains in your diet and like a little spice, you might want to give this recipe a try. It is easy to make, healthy and tastes great!
Spicy Quinoa With Vegetables
- 2 cups quinoa (I used 365 Super Grains, a blend of red & white quinoa, millet & buckwheat, which I purchased at Whole Foods)
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup frozen peas, or use fresh sugar snap peas
- Large handful of fresh kale (chopped)
- 1 large prepared chicken breast (chopped)
- 2 strips cooked uncured bacon (chopped)
- 1 package Old El Paso spicy taco seasoning, or use your favorite spices (See note below.)
- salt & pepper
- Follow directions on package to prepare the quinoa mix.
Set a side when fully cooked. Pour some olive oil in a large skillet, covering the bottom of the pan. Add the chopped onion, kale and peas to saute. Add the prepared chicken & bacon. Stir in the quinoa mix. Add the taco seasoning & salt & pepper.
Note: You may need to add a little more olive oil to the mix, while stirring. Serve warm as a side dish, or main dish. Garnish with fresh avocado slices, tomato, etc.
If you don’t like the idea of using Taco Seasoning, use other spices such as cayenne, turmeric, chili powder, Cajun seasoning, etc. to taste. (This is what I prefer.) You may also add other vegetables such as peppers & mushrooms, which I would have, but was out of them at the time. You may also add another meat, or tofu, or just skip that protein part. Make the dish your own, by adding in your favorite vegetables & spices.